Contrary to popular belief, teak furniture does not require any special maintenance routine or any additional protection apart from occasional cleaning. Left to age naturally outside, teak will gradually change to a soft, silver-grey as the pigments in the surface layer of the wood begin to fade away. We recommend that you allow your teak furniture to weather naturally this way and simply clean thoroughly once or twice a year with our Teak Cleaner. Teak furniture may also benefit from an occasional light sanding to remove any raised grain and restore a smooth finish to the surface. Under no circumstances should a power washer be used to clean teak furniture as this will erode the surface.
Because teak is a naturally oily wood, it is not possible to paint or varnish. Any paint or varnish applied will not adhere properly to the surface and after a short while will start to peel off.
If you wish to retain the golden-brown color of new teak we also offer a Teak Sealer. Application of Teak Sealer will not affect the strength or longevity of the furniture in any way, just its appearance. If you elect to use Teak Sealer you will be embarking on a regular maintenance program as Teak Sealer needs to be regularly re-applied to provide continuous protection.
If you intend to store your furniture over the winter, we recommend that you do so in a water-tight garden shed or garage. However, we advise that you do not move teak furniture from the garden straight into a heated indoor room for storage, as the sharp differences in temperature and humidity may cause the wood to split.
To protect teak surfaces from staining and to help maintain the silver-grey patina on weathered teak, we recommend using our Teak Protector. Our Teak Protector creates an almost invisible shield which helps to prevent food (coffee, ketchup, red wine, olive oil, etc.) penetrating into the teak and causing unsightly stains. Teak Protector also helps protects the wood against the ingress of moisture, the adhesion of dirt andprevents mildew growth.
Gloster Teak Cleaner - 25oz / 750ml plastic bottle with trigger-action head. Water-based formula - both nontoxic and environmentally friendly. Cleans and brightens weathered teak in one, simple step. Each bottle is supplied complete with a special applicator pad.
Instructions for Use:
1. Before using Teak Cleaner, protective gloves (included in box) and eye protection should be worn. Cover the ground under your working area before cleaning.
2. First moisten the furniture with clean water.
3. Shake Teak Cleaner before use.
4. Spray Teak Cleaner on furniture and apply evenly with a soft cloth or sponge. Allow to soak for 5 minutes.
5. Brush the furniture clean with a scrubbing pad (included in box) and water in the direction of the grain.
6. Rinse furniture well with clean water.
7. For protection from stains, leave furniture to dry and treat with Teak Protector.
Instructions for Use:
1. Before using Teak Protector, protective gloves (included in box) and eye protection should be worn. Cover the ground under your work area before starting.
2. Before using Teak Protector on new teak, put the furniture outside to weather for a week.
3. Before using Teak Protector on weathered or dark grey teak, first clean the wood with Gloster Teak Cleaner. If cleaned wood feels rough, sand lightly before treating with Teak Protector.
4. Ensure teak is 100% dry and free of dust. 5. Shake for at least one minute before use. Apply thin layer of Teak Protector with a soft cloth (included in box).
6. Allow to dry for 4 hours (humid climates: allow more time for drying) and then apply a second thin coat of Teak Protector. Let the teak dry for 48 hours before exposure.
7. It is recommended that you treat your teak furniture with Teak Protector at least once every year. Tabletops should be treated more often.
Teak Protector is an almost invisible shield which helps to prevent food (coffee, ketchup, red wine, olive oil, etc.) penetrating into teak causing stains. It also protects the wood against moisture and adhesion of dirt and prevents mildew growth. After aging, the teak will weather to a natural silver-grey patina instead of turning dark grey or green. Should you prefer to keep the golden-brown color of teak for a longer time, then first treat your furniture with Teak Sealer and then use Teak Protector afterwards.
Gloster Teak Sealer - 25oz / 750ml plastic bottle with trigger-action head. Water-based formula - both nontoxic and environmentally friendly. Cleans and brightens weathered teak in one, simple step. Each bottle is supplied complete with a special applicator pad.
Instructions for Use:
1. New Furniture - clean with Gloster Teak Cleaner before applying Teak Sealer. For weathered furniture or furniture previously treated with teak oil/sealer - clean thoroughly with Gloster Teak Cleaner before applying Teak Sealer, ensuring all traces of old oil/sealer are removed.
2. Before using the Teak Sealer, protective gloves (included in box) and eye protection should be worn. Cover the ground under your work area before starting.
3. Shake Teak Sealer for at least one minute before use. Insufficient shaking can lead to uneven weathering.
4. We suggest you try the Teak Sealer on a small area first (e.g. the back of a leg) to judge if the color meets your expectations.
5. Apply a very thin layer of Teak Sealer evenly over the furniture with a dust free cloth (included in box). Do NOT use a paintbrush. Apply a second very thin coat after 60 minutes drying time (humid climates: Allow more time for drying).
6. It is recommended that you treat your furniture with Teak Sealer at least once a year. This image illustrates the difference between weathered teak (left), cleaned teak (top right) and sealed teak (bottom right).
- Antique (Silver) teak furniture is Kiln-dried to ensure the stability of the timber.
- Unlike furniture made from traditional teak, reclaimed teak wood will include knots and other rustic features to recreate a natural character and antiqued feel of each finished piece of furniture. This will give each piece its own unique character.
- The multi-step distressing and finish use water-based commercial grade paints and stains, which is then sealed with a Teak-Shield. The wood is stained to give it a weathered look similar to teak that has been exposed to the elements for a long time.
- When exposed to the elements, the water-based finish will eventually wear away and uncover a lighter/unfinished natural teak look. This will then start its own natural weathering process which over time will acquire the silvery-gray patina that is the characteristic of untreated teak when exposed to the outdoors. This weathering process will occur after approximately one or two seasons of use.
- Please note, during this transition period, the appearance of the furniture will be uneven and blemished, but will eventually develop a uniform silvery -gray patina.
- To help make the surface more consistent, use a piece of cardboard (not sandpaper) to even out the color. If cleaning is necessary, add dish soap to A¼ bucket of warm water and wipe along the grain with a soft cloth. Rinse with water using your garden hose (low pressure) and let dry.
- It's recommended for the end-user to continue applying a Teak-Shield to aid the longevity of the finish. Christy Sports sells Gloster Protectant (59-0368) which can be used to help repel water and moisture and will help to prevent stains from food and drinks.
- This is an image of a table exposed to the elements after two seasons that has been wiped down with cardboard.
- The natural weathered teak will be reminiscent of the appearance of the original Antique finish.
- As with any wood products, do not use protective covers.
For more information see our complete list of patio furniture guides, or contact customer service at (877)281-6160
Your Personalized collection of favorite items
Add items to the collection builder to help organize and plan your future patio furniture purchase.
Use the "Add to Collection" button ( ) from the item quick view or the item detail page to add items to your collection.
When your collection is complete, you can add the items to your cart, print them for reference or email them to safe keeping.
For questions, call 877.281.6160 or contact your closest
Christy Sports patio showroom.